The Future of Privacy Forum is helping to coordinate a breakout group to work on short form notices. We provide here useful resources for any of those interested in this issue. All Stakeholders are welcome to participate. If there are other useful resources that NTIA participants should be aware of, then please contact [email protected]
Research / Articles:
- M. Ryan Calo, ”Against Notice Skepticism In Privacy (And Elsewhere),” 87 Notre Dame L. Rev. 1027, 102 (forthcoming 2012)
- Center for Information Policy Leadership. Ten Steps To Develop a Multi-Layered Privacy Notice. 2007
- Pern Hui Chia et. al. Is this App Safe? A Large Scale Study on Application Permissions and Risk Signals. ACM WWW2012
- Corey Ciocchetti. The Future of Privacy Policies: A Privacy Nutrition Label Filled with Fair Information Practices, 26 Marshall J. Computer & Info. L. 1 (2009).
- Lorrie Cranor and Aleecia M. McDonald, The Cost of Reading Privacy Policies. I/S: A Journal of Law and Policy for the Information Society 2008 Privacy Year in Review issue.
- Chris Jay Hoofnagle et. al., “Mobile Phones and Privacy.” UC Berkeley Public Law, Research Paper No. 2103405, July 10, 2012.
- Federal Trade Commission, Financial Privacy Rule: Interagency Notice Research Project. April, 2010.
- Adrienne Porter Felt et. al. Android Permissions: User Attention Comprehension and Behavior. (SOUPS) 2012, Washington, D.C.
- Nathan Good, Rushing to Install – Notice and Consumer Behavior, a video showcasing user interaction with notice during an experiment looking at installation behavior. (SOUPS) 2005.
- Patrick Gage Kelley, Joanna Bresee, Lorrie Faith Cranor, and Robert W. Reeder. A “Nutrition Label” for Privacy. SOUPS 2009.
- Jennifer King, et al, Privacy: Is There an App for That? Symposium On Usable Privacy and Security (SOUPS) 2011, July 20-22, 2011, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- Aleecia M. McDonald and Tom Lowenthal, Nano-Notice: Privacy Disclosure at a Mobile Scale. (TRPC Conference) Sept. 9, 2012.
- George R. Milne & Mary J. Culnan, Strategies for Reducing Online Privacy Risks: Why Consumers Read (Or Don’t Read) Online Privacy Notices. 13 Journal of Interactive Marketing 3, 2004.
- Adrienne Porter Felt et. al., “Android Permissions: User Attention, Comprehension and Behavior.” Presented at the 2012 SOUPS, Washington, D.C. July 2012.
- TrustE blog, Privacy Short Notice Design.
- Markus Tschersich et al. Towards Privacy-enhanced Mobile Communities – Architecture, Concepts and User Trials. Journal of Systems and Software, July 2011.
Examples of Short Notices
Examples of Icons
- NTIA Multistakeholder Process
- Federal Trade Commission, Marketing Your Mobile App: Getting It Right From The Start (August 2012).
- Seizing Opportunity: Good Privacy Practices for Developing Mobile Apps , Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada and the Offices of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta and British Columbia (Oct. 2012).
Online Ad Research:
- Joanna O’Connell, How To Diffuse Digital Marketing Privacy Concerns, Forrester (May 2012).
- Evidon, Webinar Recording: Keeping Privacy Protection as Mobile as Consumers, (Oct. 17, 2012).
iab/recent_press_releases/ press_release_archive/press_ release/pr-071112
blog/10506-15-awesome-mobile- website-performance- optimization-slideshows